Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lemon Chicken

Okay, so I have had this one recipe pinned for awhile now. Today, I decided to give it a shot. Here is the original recipe, and below is what I actually did. I had one fresh lemon on hand so I improvised a little bit and my husband is allergic to garlic so you will see I omit that ingredient most of the time.



Recipe:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 
1/3 cup white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts, skinless
1 lemon 



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, turn off the heat, add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt and pour into a 9 X 12-inch baking dish. 

Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them smooth side up over the sauce. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.


Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned. If the chicken isn’t browned enough, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the pan juices. 


Now because I used skinless, it did not brown (even with going in the broiler). I also thought I covered the breasts in salt but it could have used more, so don't be afraid of that step like I was. The final outcome was good. I have had tastier chicken but this was juicy and was rather healthy. My 2 year old twins gobbled it up and asked for seconds. I also paired with rice this time but I think this is a dish more suited for potatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment